Home Service Tips
Most people have experienced a clogged drain before. Whether it’s a slow-moving sink or a backed-up toilet, a clog can ruin your plans in a hurry. When traditional methods like plunging and snake drain cleaning solutions fail, it may be time to give high-pressure drain cleaning a try. High-pressure drain cleaning is a powerful way to clean your drains, and it comes with several benefits. Keep reading to learn more about the benefits of high-pressure drain cleaning and how it can benefit your home. Benefit #1 – It’s Fast and Effective High-pressure drain cleaning is one of the most effective ways to clean your drains quickly. If you have a slow-moving sink or shower, this method can help to clear out the build-up and get your water flowing again. This method is also effective at removing tough clogs in toilets and drains. If you have a stubborn clog that won’t budge, high-pressure drain cleaning may be the answer.
Benefit #2 – It Protects Your PipesAnother benefit of high-pressure drain cleaning is that it can help to protect your pipes from damage. When water is allowed to sit in your pipes, it can cause corrosion and other damage over time. High-pressure water can help to remove the build-up in your pipes and protect them from damage.
Benefit #3 – It’s Safe for Your PlumbingIf you’re concerned about the safety of your plumbing, you’ll be happy to know that high pressure drain cleaning is safe for most types of plumbing systems. This method uses high pressure water to clean out your drains, so there’s no need to worry about harsh chemicals or other damaging agents coming into contact with your pipes. If you’re looking for an effective way to clean your drains quickly, high-pressure drain cleaning may be the answer. This method is fast, effective, and safe for most types of plumbing systems.
Benefit #4 – Removes Contaminants and BacteriaNot only does high pressure drain cleaning keep your drains flowing freely, but it also kills harmful bacteria that can cause sickness and disease. In addition, high pressure drain cleaning can also remove bad odors from your drains, leaving your home smelling fresh and clean. Whether you’re dealing with a slow drain or a complete clog, high pressure drain cleaning is an effective way to get your drains flowing freely again.
Call Elmer’s Home Services for Drain CleaningIf you’re dealing with a stubborn clog that just doesn’t seem to want to go away, it may be time to call in the professionals. Elmer’s Home Services offers high-pressure drain cleaning that can take care of even the most difficult clogs. We use state-of-the-art equipment and techniques to clear your drains quickly and efficiently, so you can get back to living your life. Don’t struggle with a clogged drain any longer – call us today!
More than 565,500 individuals are employed in the plumbing industry. While all plumbers go through the same types of training, not all plumbers will offer the same quality of work. Plumbing is an essential function of your home, so you need to find the right plumber to ensure that you get the highest quality services. Do you want to learn how you can hire a plumber that meets your needs? Keep reading this plumber guide for the top questions you should ask when you call a plumber.
Are You Licensed and Insured?One of the first things you need to ask your plumber is whether or not they are licensed and insured. This will help you find a plumber that has the right qualifications for your needs and a plumber that offers professional services. Finding a plumber that is insured is not something you can negotiate on. If something happens in your home and your plumber causes property damage or is injured on your property, the insurance coverage will protect you financially. Similarly, you need a licensed plumber. This proves that they went through the proper training and have the experience necessary to provide you with plumbing services. When you hire a plumber, you can ask them for proof of licensure and insurance.
How Were You Trained?Another way you can find a plumber with the right credentials and qualifications is to learn more about the ways they were trained. How do you become a plumber? While you don’t need a college degree to become a plumber, you still need to do some type of apprenticeship or technical school training program. You need to make sure that your plumber has the proper training and credentials. This way, they will have the basic skills necessary to help with all of your plumbing needs.
How Long Have You Been in Business?To learn more about a plumber’s experience, you should also ask them how long they have been in business. When you hire a local plumber, they should have a good reputation in the community. Plumbers that have been in business for longer also know the tricks of the trade. They may be better equipped to solve your problem than a plumber that just recently started in the industry. Make sure your plumber has several years of experience in plumbing before you hire them. You should also ask them for more information about the types of experience they have as plumbers. For example, do they have experience installing plumbing fixtures for homeowners? Or do they typically only do quick repairs?
What Are Your Rates?Next, you must learn more about your plumber’s rates. Each plumber will quote you a different price for their services, so it is important that you get estimates from several different businesses. This way, you can shop around and find a plumber with rates that fit your budget. When you get an estimate from a plumber, you also should make sure they are giving you an estimate for the total cost. While a plumber may throw out a price for their services, they may increase the price when they arrive and inspect the problem. You should also ask your plumber to provide you with a breakdown of their fees. How much do they charge for their labor? Do they charge a travel fee to get to your home? Lastly, you should learn how your plumber charges for their services. Do they charge a flat rate or do they have an hourly rate?
Do You Have References?References are essential to consider whenever you hire a contractor to work in your home. This will help you learn more about your plumber’s customer service, their quality of work, and more. Most plumbing companies will provide references for past clients upon request. This way, you can reach out to their past clients to learn more about their experience. Another way you can learn more about your plumber’s references is by looking at online reviews. What do their past clients have to say about their work? Were they satisfied or did they have any serious complaints? Getting the answers to these questions can provide you with peace of mind and confidence that you will have a good experience with your plumber.
What Is Your Availability?When you are looking for a plumber, you also need to make sure that they are available to help you with your plumbing issues. You can ask your plumber how long it typically takes them to respond to customer calls. This is especially important if you are dealing with a plumbing emergency, as these can cause thousands of dollars or damage to your property. If you have a less serious problem with your plumbing, you still want your system to be up and running as quickly as possible. Finding a plumber that can schedule you quickly can be a huge benefit.
Do You Have a Specialty?While most plumbers get the same training, plumbers can have different areas of specialization. For example, some plumbers may specialize commercial plumbing repair or installation. Others may focus on residential plumbing services, like drain cleanings. To get the best plumbing services for your needs, you may want to find a plumber that specializes in your specific problem.
What Plumbing Services Do You Offer?Not only do you want to find a plumber that specializes in residential plumbing services, but you should also learn more about the specific services your plumber offers. Some of the most common plumbing services include drainage services, pipe repairs, water heater repair, and more. Some plumbers also offer things like water heater repair, air conditioning installation, emergency AC repair, and more! Learning more about the additional services your plumber offers will make it easier to find a one stop service for all of your plumbing and HVAC needs. If you are looking for an “HVAC service near me,” we can help! Elmer’s Home Services provides everything from air conditioner repair and heater repair to plumbing services.
Do You Provide the Services Personally?If you hire a company to provide plumbing services, you may expect that they will be the ones providing your services. However, this is not always the case. Some companies work with subcontractors and will have other people do their work for them. While this isn’t necessarily a problem, you need to make sure the person working in your home has the right training and experience. Your plumbing company should be transparent when they use subcontractors for their labor. You should get all of this information before the plumbing services so you can feel confident that you are in good hands.
Is The Work Guaranteed?Dealing with plumbing issues can be very frustrating, especially when the same problems arise over and over again. To ensure that your plumbing repairs are done correctly, you should find a plumber that offers a warranty or a guarantee on their services. If the problem persists after they complete their services, they will come back to repair the issue for free. This way, you can feel confident that you will not be financially responsible for poor workmanship and you know that your plumber will do his job right the first time. If your plumber offers a guarantee or warranty, make sure you get all of the information in writing. A written contract can prevent unnecessary miscommunications and will show you exactly what is covered in the warranty.
Who Cleans Up?Plumbing repairs can be quite messy and may require a lot of work to clean it up. Because of this, you need to ask your plumber if they will be responsible for cleaning up after the job is complete! Some plumbers will get rid of old parts and clean up your space, but this is not always the case. You can ask your plumber if they include cleanup as part of their services. Sometimes they will do it for free and other times they will charge extra for this service. Make sure you both have clear expectations of your responsibilities before you hire a plumber.
Do You Offer 24/7 Services?Finally, you should ask your plumber for more information about their hours. While some plumbing services can be scheduled in advance, you may also experience a plumbing emergency at an inconvenient time. If your emergency plumber does not offer 24/7 services, it may be difficult to get the help that you need if you experience an issue outside of typical business hours. Finding a plumber that is flexible with their scheduling and will come in during their off-hours will allow you to get the help you need when you need it. It can also help you prevent further damage to your home and plumbing system.
Need Help Finding a Plumber in San Antonio?When you are looking for a plumber, you need to carefully research your options to ensure you get the highest quality work possible. By asking each of these questions, you can find a reliable plumber for any of your plumbing needs! Do you need help finding the best plumber in San Antonio? Elmer’s Home Services can help! We offer everything from plumbing services to HVAC installation, AC repair, and more. Contact our plumbing experts today to learn more about our services and for other plumbing tips.
A dripping faucet can be annoying, wasteful, and downright costly. The good news is that in most cases, it is a quick and easy fix. In this blog post, we will show you how to fix a dripping faucet.
Why Faucets dripThe first thing you need to understand is why your faucet is dripping. In almost all cases, a dripping faucet is caused by a worn washer. The washer is a small rubber gasket that seals the connection between the moving parts of the faucet and the stationary parts of the sink. Over time, washers can become brittle and cracked, causing them to leak.
Tools You Will Need
- Adjustable wrench or pliers
- New rubber washer (matching the size of your old one)
- Teflon tape (optional)
- WD-40 (optional)
- Shut off the water supply to your sink. This is usually done by turning a knob underneath the sink. If you cannot find the shut-off valve, turn off the main water supply to your home.
- Place a towel or bucket underneath your sink to catch any water that might spill out when you remove the faucet handle.
- Use an adjustable wrench or pliers to remove the decorative cap from the top of the handle. Underneath this cap, you should see a screw that holds the handle in place.
- Unscrew this screw and pull off the handle.
- Take a look at the stem—this is the metal rod that goes through the middle of the handle—and locate the packing nut. The packing nut is a small nut that holds everything together at the base of the stem. In some cases, there may be two packing nuts—one on top of the other.
- Use an adjustable wrench or pliers to loosen (but not remove) this packing nut. If you are having trouble loosening it, you can try spraying it with WD – 40 or using Teflon tape to help it come loose. Just be careful not to over – tighten it when you put it back on.
- With the packing nut loosened, pull out the stem and look at the washer. If it looks worn or damaged in any way, proceed to step 8. If it looks fine, skip ahead to step 11.
- Remove any residue on the threads of the stem using an old toothbrush or cotton swab.
- Wrap Teflon tape around these threads in a clockwise direction.
- Insert the new washer onto the stem (make sure it is facing inwards) and screw on another packing nut, again using an adjustable wrench or pliers until it is tight but not too tight—you should be able to screw it on with your fingers, but it shouldn’t be loose enough that you can unscrew it without tools.
- Carefully insert the stem back into place and use your adjustable wrench or pliers to screw on the packing nuts until they are snug but not too tight.
Need more help?So there you have it- a simple guide on how to fix a dripping faucet. We hope this was helpful and that you are now able to take care of this issue yourself. If not, or if you’d simply prefer to have someone else do the job for you, give Elmer’s Home Services a call. We provide top-notch emergency plumbing services to residents all over the San Antonio area, so we’re sure we can help take care of your dripping faucet problem in no time at all!
In the United States, air conditioners run at an annual cost of $29 billion to homeowners. However, this cost can increase significantly when there are issues with the air conditioner. Hiring a reliable AC repair company can help you save money on your air conditioning costs and can also help you improve your indoor air quality. Do you want to learn more about hiring an AC repair service and what you should consider? Keep reading this AC repair guide for the top tips you should follow when choosing a company for your air conditioner repair or HVAC installation.
Prioritize ExperienceWhen looking for an AC repair service, one of the first things you must consider is a company’s experience in the industry. An experienced company will provide you with higher quality services because they have a reputation to uphold in the industry. If they have been in business for several years, it is clearly because they are doing something right! A more experienced company will also typically have more hands-on experience in the HVAC industry. This will make it easier for them to troubleshoot problems with your air conditioner and will allow them to repair the problem more efficiently. In general, you can trust a company that has worked in your community for years more than you can trust a newly opened company.
Check CredentialsNext, you need to check the credentials of an HVAC company before you hire them for your AC repair. One important credential to consider is the company’s local licenses. In most states, HVAC contractors are required to be licensed to provide services. This license will prove that they have the right training and qualifications to provide repair services. Similarly, you must find a company that is fully insured. Because so many things can go wrong when working on an HVAC system, insurance will protect both you and your AC repair company if there is some type of accident or property damage. At a minimum, your contractor should have workers’ compensation insurance and general liability insurance.
Consider Repair CostsAC repair costs can quickly get expensive. While it is often a necessary maintenance cost, it is still important that you learn more about an AC repair company’s rates for their services. Most reputable companies will provide pricing estimates to give you a good idea of what you can expect to pay. While this makes it easy to shop around for a better price, you should be cautious about choosing a company based on price alone. By trying to save a bit of money on your repair, you may be paying for lower-quality services that will not solve the problem completely. It is important that you consider both the value of the services being provided as well as the cost of services before you select a company for AC repair or air conditioning installation.
Find a Company With a Great ReputationWhen you are looking for an AC repair company, you need to learn more about the company’s reputation as well. A company that has a great reputation with its clients is willing to put in the work necessary to provide high-quality services and excellent customer care. One way you can research an AC technician’s reputation is by looking at their online reviews. These reviews from past clients can provide you with unbiased information about the services they received. If you notice any serious complaints or other red flags while reading through these reviews, it may be best to select a different company to work with. You can also learn more about a company’s reputation by asking them for references. Often, companies will provide you with a list of their current customers that are willing to share their experiences. You can reach out to these customers to ask them questions about the services they received.
Ask for RecommendationsOne of the easiest ways you can find a reliable company to work with for air conditioner repair is by asking for recommendations. While it can be helpful to look at online customer reviews, asking your own friends, family members, or acquaintances for recommendations is even better. This way, you can ask them specific questions about their experiences working with a certain company. They can also help you learn more about the AC repair process so you can feel prepared for your upcoming service! If you get a word-of-mouth recommendation for an AC repair company, you can feel confident that you will be satisfied with their services.
Ask About WarrantiesWarranties are another characteristic of a high-quality AC repair company. Companies that are willing to put a guarantee on their services are confident in the quality of work that they provide. If something were to go wrong with your newly repaired air conditioner, a guarantee or a warranty would take the responsibility off of you as a homeowner. Instead of having to pay to get the issue repaired again, your AC repair company would return and repair the problem until it is fixed. This will save you money and will provide you with peace of mind that your air conditioner is in good hands.
Get a Written ContractSomething else to prioritize when selecting an air conditioner repair company is finding a company that offers a written contract. This provides an extra level of professionalism and can help you feel peace of mind that you are in good hands. While some companies may offer a low price with a verbal agreement, you cannot hold them to these terms if it is not in the written proposal. It is easy for unreliable companies to change the terms of the contract or even increase their prices if you do not get it in writing. Getting a written contract will protect you legally if your contractor isn’t honest.
Learn About ServicesNext, you should learn more about the services your HVAC company offers. For example, your HVAC system requires regular maintenance and servicing to keep it running as smoothly as possible. You may want to find a company that offers maintenance services and tune-ups for your HVAC system. This way, you will have one company you can turn to for all of your HVAC needs. You may also want to learn more about other services your HVAC company offers. For example, some companies offer plumber services as well as heating and air services. If you need help with a water heater repair or require the services of an emergency plumber, finding a company that offers both of these services can be beneficial.
Ask About Service HoursAs a homeowner, it can be difficult for you to find time to complete your home maintenance and repairs, especially if you have a full-time job. Many air conditioning repair companies only work during typical business hours, so you might have to take time off work to get your AC repaired. However, some companies have appointments outside of these regular business hours or on the weekends. This makes it easier for you to schedule your repairs when it is convenient for you to be there. You may also want to consider finding a company that offers emergency AC repair services. You never know when your air conditioner will fail. If your AC breaks down in the middle of a heat wave, you may need an emergency service to come as quickly as possible. If you find a company that offers emergency services, it will be easier to get repairs even outside of normal work hours.
Prioritize Excellent Customer Service & CommunicationFinally, you must find a company that offers excellent customer service and communication skills! Whether you need help with a heater repair or an air conditioning service, you need to feel like your HVAC company cares about your needs and will do everything it can to take care of your HVAC problems. Your AC repair service should have a professional attitude and should be courteous and friendly while they complete your services.
Looking for an AC Repair Company? Find an HVAC Service Near MeWhen hiring an AC repair firm, finding the right company may require a lot of work and research. Following these AC repair tips will make it easier to find a reliable company that you can trust! If you are looking for help with AC repair, Elmer’s Home Services can help. Our team specializes in HVAC and plumbing services and can help you with air conditioning installation, air conditioner repair, and more. Contact us to learn more about our AC services or to find an “HVAC service near me.”
Summer is the time of year when we all try to take advantage of the nice weather by spending more time outdoors. While this is definitely enjoyable, it can also increase your energy usage, resulting in a higher electricity bill. Fortunately, there are several things you can do to make your home more energy efficient and help keep your costs down.
1. Install a programmable thermostat to save energy when you’re not homeOne way to save energy is to install a programmable thermostat. This will allow you to set the temperature for when you are home and when you are not. For example, you can set it to be cooler when you’re not home, and then have it automatically turn back on an hour before you get home so the house is comfortable when you arrive. This can save a significant amount of energy usage, because you’re not needlessly heating or cooling an empty house. Plus, it’s convenient because you don’t have to remember to adjust the temperature yourself – the thermostat will do it for you. So if you’re looking for an easy way to save energy and money, consider installing a programmable thermostat in your home.
2. Seal up any cracks or leaks in your home’s exterior to keep the air conditioning inBy sealing up cracks and leaks, you can help to prevent cool air from escaping and hot air from entering. As a result, your air conditioner won’t have to work as hard to maintain a comfortable temperature, leading to lower energy bills and a smaller carbon footprint. In addition, well-sealed homes are also more comfortable in the winter, as they tend to be better insulated against the cold. So whether you’re looking to save money or reduce your impact on the environment, sealing up your home is a smart choice.
3. Hang blackout curtains in your windows to keep the sun from heating up your home during the summer monthsHanging blackout curtains in your windows can save you money on your energy bill during the summer months. The sun can heat up your home quickly, causing your air conditioner to work harder. Blackout curtains help to keep the sun out, keeping your home cooler and allowing your air conditioner to run less. As a result, you’ll save money on your energy bill and help to keep your home comfortable during the hot summer months.
4. Use fans instead of air conditioning whenever possibleOne of the best ways to cut down on air conditioning costs is to use fans instead of air conditioning whenever possible. Fans use far less energy than air conditioners, and they can be just as effective at cooling a room if used properly. In addition, fans help circulate air around the room, which can make it feel cooler even if the temperature isn’t actually lower. So next time you’re tempted to reach for the AC remote, try using a fan instead and save yourself some money.
5. Get a tune-up for your AC unit to make sure it’s running as efficiently as possibleOne way to save money is to make sure that your AC unit is running as efficiently as possible. This can be done by scheduling a tune-up with a qualified technician. During a tune-up, the technician will clean the unit, check for any leaks, and make sure that all the parts are in good working order. This can help to improve the unit’s efficiency and prevent costly repairs down the road. As a result, a tune-up can save you money on your energy bill and keep your home cool and comfortable all summer long.
Schedule a tune-up now!So, what are you waiting for? Schedule your air conditioning tune-up today and rest easy knowing that your AC will be in good hands. Elmer’s Home Services provides top-notch HVAC services to residents all over the San Antonio area, so don’t hesitate to call us when you’re ready for a cooling solution that will keep you comfortable all summer long.
If you suspect that you have a hard water problem, keep reading to find out how to fix it and the benefits of doing so!
What is hard water and what are the signs that you have itYou might not realize it, but the water coming out of your tap can have a big impact on your daily life. The quality of water can vary depending on the source, and hard water is a common problem in many areas. Hard water is water that contains high levels of minerals, such as calcium and magnesium. These minerals can build up in plumbing fixtures, causing them to become clogged. They can also make it difficult to lather soap and shampoo, and they can leave behind deposits on dishes and laundry. In addition, hard water can cause scale buildup in appliances such as coffee makers and water heaters. As a result, it’s important to be aware of the quality of water in your area. If you suspect that you have hard water, there are tests that you can take to confirm it.
How to fix hard waterIf your home has hard water, you’re probably all too familiar with the telltale signs: soap scum buildup in the shower, mineral deposits on faucets and fixtures, and dingy-looking laundry. Hard water can also cause plumbing problems and leave your skin feeling dry and irritated. The good news is that there are several ways to fix hard water.
- One option is to install a water softener, which will remove minerals from the water before they have a chance to cause problems.
- Another option is to use a filtration system, which will remove impurities from the water and improve its taste and smell.
How much it will cost to fix your hard waterIf you suspect that you have hard water, there are a few simple tests that you can perform at home. However, the only sure way to know for sure is to have your water tested by a professional. The cost of hard water testing varies depending on the size of your home and the extent of the problem, but it is generally affordable. Once you know for sure that you have hard water, there are a few different ways to deal with it. The most expensive option is to install a whole-house water softener, which can cost several thousand dollars. However, there are also a few less expensive options, such as installing faucet filters or using softened water for drinking and cooking. Whichever route you choose, taking care of your hard water problem will undoubtedly save you money in the long run.
Tips for maintaining your pipes after they have been fixedSo, you’ve had your pipes fixed for hard water. Congratulations! This is a big step in ensuring the longevity and effectiveness of your plumbing system. But what comes next? How do you ensure that your pipes stay in good condition after the repair? Here are a few tips:
- Be mindful of what goes down your drains. Avoid pouring grease, oil, or food waste down the sink, as these can clog your pipes and lead to further problems. Stick to soap and water instead.
- Inspect your plumbing regularly. Take a look under your sinks and check for any leaks or drips. Also, keep an eye out for any signs of corrosion or rusting on your pipes. If you spot anything unusual, call a plumber right away.
- Use pipe cleaners periodically. Even if you’re careful about what goes down your drains, it’s still important to clean your pipes every now and then to prevent build-up from occurring. Pipe cleaners are available at most hardware stores, and they can be a great way to keep your pipes clean and free flowing.
Call Elmer’s for your home water softener!If you’re looking for a home water softener, Elmer’s Home Services is the perfect place to call. We can provide you with top-of-the-line products and installation services that will make your life easier – and your water softer! Don’t wait any longer, give us a call today and let us help you get started on the path to better water quality.
Financial Awareness Day – Saving money with efficient home systemsAugust 14th is National Financial Awareness Day, a great time to evaluate the more expensive, but less obvious areas of your finances. Central air systems are a major investment, and they don’t have to become money pits. By better understanding your home, your heating and air can actually work to save you money in the long run. Read on to learn more about the money you invest in your home systems.
Install a Properly Sized SystemMaking sure your HVAC system can accommodate your space is foundational to getting the most out of your investment. Heating and air systems each utilize a certain amount of energy measured in BTUs, or British Thermal Units, which will be working in proportion to your home’s square footage. This is vital to maximizing how well your HVAC works while minimizing costs. Having too big of a system will utilize more energy than naturally needed to accommodate your space. Having too small of a unit would force it to work at its maximum, causing the system to fail at heating or cooling the whole house comfortably. The experts at Elmer’s are committed to fitting your home with the proper systems to keep your family healthy and comfortable. Check out our air conditioning page to learn more about how we continue to provide customers with reliable systems and high-quality service.
Secure Your InvestmentWhether you’re working with a brand new system or a preexisting unit, you’ll be budgeting for more than just a utility bill. Just as you would insure your home, backup your laptop, or register other major items with the necessary protection plans, finding a home warranty to suit your needs can mean the difference between major emergency spending worries and feeling reassured if things go awry. These tiered plans can cover the repair or replacement of many things from your home systems, to major appliances, or both, without the need to make a massive dent in your savings. If you’re looking to get a home warranty, it’s important to do your research and find a plan that works best for your budget and needs. Securing these systems early on can save you from the stress of emergency repairs, without breaking the bank.
Clean and Maintain to SaveYour systems are installed, secured, and working to keep your home’s air comfortable, and you want to keep it that way. Any kind of investment is going to need a bit of TLC and HVAC is no exception. Be sure to schedule necessary cleaning and maintenance whenever needed. Annual tune-ups, preventative maintenance, duct sealing, filter replacement, and cleaning will ensure maximum efficiency and savings for your household. This will give you the peace of mind that you’ll be protected against allergens, toxins, and other harmful results of poorly kept ducts. Elmer’s professionals are here to help anytime with HVAC maintenance, air conditioning repair, replacement, and cleaning. We specialize in ensuring top indoor air quality for both your family’s health and the longevity of your heating and cooling systems. If you are looking for the best air conditioning replacement in San Antonio, Call Elmer’s today!
How To Shut Off Your ToiletThere are a few occasions when you might need to turn off your toilet – for example, maybe your toilet is running nonstop or your toilet has a leak. Knowing how to shut off your toilet in a pinch is sure to be helpful.
Where Is My Toilet Shut-off ValveYour toilet shut-off valve is located on the wall, generally on the bottom left side of the toilet. It is a small knob that is connected to a water supply pipe. The shut-off valve controls the flow of water going to your toilet.
How To Shut Off Your Toilet1. Locate your toilet’s shut-off valve. As mentioned, this is typically on the left side of the toilet, it will be a small knob. 2. Turn the knob clockwise until it stops. This will shut off the water supply to your toilet, so no more water will be able to flow into the toilet tank. 3. Once you have shut off the water, flush your toilet to drain any remaining water from the bowl by flushing the toilet. 4. If you need to turn the water back on, simply turn the knob counterclockwise.
Help! I can’t turn off my toilet.If you are having trouble shutting off your toilet, here are a few troubleshooting tips: 1. Make sure the knob is turned all the way to the right. 2. If the knob is stuck, try wiggling the knob back and forth. Toilets are full of water, so it’s common that there will be rust on the shut-off valve. We recommend using a lubricant such as WD-40 to make the shut-off easier to turn on and off. 3. If you are still having trouble shutting off your toilet, try turning off the main water supply to your home. This will shut off all of the water going to your house, including your toilet.
When To Call a Local plumberIf you are having difficulty turning off your toilet, it is likely that there is a more serious issue that requires professional assistance. A plumber can help to identify and fix the problem so that you can properly shut off your toilet in the future. If you’ve tried all of the above and you are still having issues, it’s time to call a plumber. A local plumber can diagnose the problem and make the necessary repairs. Sometimes a repair calls for specialty replacement parts that only a plumber is likely to have handy. Plumbing issues can be tricky and frustrating. If you’re not comfortable troubleshooting and repairing your toilet, call a plumber. They have the experience and expertise to fix the problem safely and quickly. A toilet that isn’t working can be a huge inconvenience. These were a few things you can do to try and fix the problem, if you still need help call Elmer’s Home Services in San Antonio, TX.
Need Help?If you’re not sure where to start with a toilet repair, don’t hesitate to call a professional. Elmer’s Home Services in San Antonio TX can help you assess the situation and make the best decision for your needs. We have experienced plumbers and quality service, so you can get the solution your need quickly.
If your hot water heater isn’t heating, or you are getting lukewarm water there are a few things you can do to try and fix the problem before calling a plumber. Maybe the water heater stopped working in the middle of your shower this morning, or you’re having guests over for the weekend and there is simply not enough hot water. No matter the reason, when hot water heaters aren’t heating, it’s a problem. If you’re having issues with your hot water tank, the first thing you should do is try and figure out why. There are a few things you can check on your own, but if you can’t fix the problem, you might need to call a nearby plumber. We all know how frustrating it can be when something goes wrong, and we don’t have a clue how to fix it. That’s why today, I’m going to share 5 tips with you on how to fix your water heater when it isn’t heating.
1. Check the water heater type and make sure the thermostat is set correctlyThe first thing you should do when your tank isn’t heating is check whether you have an electric water heater or a gas water heater. The water heater tank can look similar for both types. Gas Water Heater: Has a pilot light, or pilot flame with a heat setting. Uses a gas burner to heat the water. Electric Water Heater: This has a plug and will be connected to a circuit breaker. What is the thermostat? The thermostat makes sure your water is heating to the correct temperature. Sometimes, the problem is as simple as the thermostat being turned too low causing the water to be lukewarm. Where is the thermostat? This is located on the side of the water heater, underneath an access panel. Once you’ve found it, you will need to remove the screw and remove the faceplate. You will typically find a reset button next to the thermostat. Larger tanks have a lower and upper thermostat. Be sure to adjust them both the same amount. How do you change the thermostat temperature? You will see a dial that you can turn to change the temperature. Turn the knob to the desired temperature and replace the faceplate. When finished, make sure the access panel is screwed in securely. What is the best temperature setting for the thermostat? There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best temperature will vary depending on your specific unit. However, a good rule of thumb is to set the thermostat to around 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not exceed 125 degrees Fahrenheit as water that is too hot can cause your skin to burn, as well as damage your water heater. Some gas water heaters are equipped with a high-temperature cutoff switch or high-temperature limit. Setting the temperature setting to high can cause the heating element to burn out or the high-temperature cutoff to trigger. If your tank doesn’t start to heat up, there might be a problem with the heating elements. In this case, you’ll need to call a plumber to come and repair your unit.
2. Make sure the water heater is plugged in and that there’s power going to itAnother common and obvious reason your water heater might not be heating is that it’s not plugged in or there’s no power going to it. Electric water heaters have a plug that is usually located on top of the unit, near the hot water pipes. Make sure the water heater is plugged in and that the outlet has power. Inspect the cord for visual damage such as fraying or a loose connection. If you see any damage, it’s a sign to call a plumber to come and look at your unit. If the circuit breaker continues to flip, it may indicate a further electrical problem or a high-temperature cutoff triggering incorrectly.
3. Check the circuit breaker box to see if the water heater has tripped a fuseIf there’s no power going to your electric water heater, it might have tripped the circuit breaker. Why does my hot water heater keep tripping? Electric water heaters might trip a circuit breaker for several reasons. One of the most common reasons is that the water heater is overloaded. This usually happens when there’s too much demand for the tank, such as when you’re trying to use multiple hot water appliances at the same time. Another common reason for a water heater trip is a faulty or damaged heating element. If the heating element is damaged, it can cause the water heater to overheat and trip. It’s important to figure out what’s causing the problem. Once you’ve determined the cause, you can take steps to fix the problem and prevent it from happening again. When your breaker continuously trips, it’s usually a sign of an underlying issue or problem. In some cases, it’s something that you can easily repair on your own. However, if you’re unsure of what’s causing your water heater to trip or you can’t seem to fix the problem, call a plumber for a water heater repair.
4. Flush out the hot water heater to remove sediment that might be causing problemsSometimes, the reason your water heater isn’t heating is that there’s a build-up of sediment inside the tank. This can cause the unit to not work properly and even overheat, causing the heating element to burn out. Excess sediment can cause you to have less hot water, create heat loss, clog hot water pipes, and even lead to a total water heater replacement. The best way to remove sediment that might be causing problems is to clean out the water heater. This can be done by attaching a hose to the drain valve and draining the water heater.
- Turn your water heater off
- If you have a gas water heater you can turn the water heater’s pilot light control to “Pilot”.
- This will prevent heating elements from burning out and ensure you don’t damage your gas burner.
- If you have an electric water heater shut it off at the breaker. This will ensure you don’t damage the heating elements.
- Turn off the cold-water supply to your unit
- This is generally found at the top of your water heater, next to the hot water pipes and anode rod.
- Turn on the hot water in a bathtub or sink faucet
- This will allow pressure to be released and the water heater to be drained.
- Connect a hose to the water heater’s drain valve
- The drain spigot is located near the bottom of the tank.
- Open the water heater’s drain valve and let it drain
- Twist the valve so it is fully open, allowing us to start our water heater flush.
- Reopen the water supply to flush a water heater
- This will help push granular sediment out of your tank.
- Close the drain valve when the water runs clear
- Make sure that all of the sediment has been flushed from your tank before you close the valve.
- Turn your water heater back on at the breaker or gas control knob
- Keep the hot water faucet you opened earlier, open, to allow the air to escape the system. Once cold water begins flowing you can shut it off. Wait 30 minutes to an hour for your tank to heat.
- Excess sediment is a sign of corrosion within your hot water tank. If you see this it might be time to replace or repair your tank.
5. Call a plumber if you can’t figure out what’s wrong with your water heaterIf you’ve tried all of the above and your water heater still isn’t working, it’s time to call a plumber. A local plumber can diagnose the problem and make the necessary repairs. Sometimes a repair calls for specialty replacement parts or heating elements that only a plumber is likely to have handy. Water heater repairs can be tricky and frustrating. If you’re not comfortable troubleshooting and repairing your hot water tank, call a plumber. They have the experience and expertise to fix the problem safely and quickly. A water heater that isn’t heating can be a huge inconvenience. These were a few things you can do to try and fix the problem. If all of these don’t work, it’s time to call a professional for help and possibly replace your old tank with a new water heater.
FAQQ: My water heater isn’t heating, what should I do? A: Check the power supply or pilot light to ensure it’s on. The best option is to call a plumber nearby to help diagnose your entire system. Often times the fix is to replace an inexpensive part. Q: Can I try to fix it myself? A: Yes, you can try some troubleshooting methods yourself. However, if you’re not comfortable with repairs, it’s best to leave it to the professionals. Q: How do I find a good plumber? A: Elmer’s Home Services is a reputable company with 24/7 emergency plumbing availability. When searching for plumbers you should consider their reputation and quality of service. Elmer’s gives you options ranging from a simple band-aid repair to total water heater replacement. Q: What should I expect to pay for a plumber? A: The average cost of a plumber is $60 to $200 per hour. However, this will depend on the complexity of the job and where you live. Elmer’s Home Services offers a $59 service call. We will diagnose your plumbing issue and if any further water heater repair needs to be made you can roll the service fee into the cost of repairs! Q: What are some other common problems? A: A few common problems are a broken dip tube, a faulty gas control valve, a corroded anode rod, or a damaged heating element. If your tank is leaking water, smells like rotten eggs or you think the heating elements are damaged, it’s a sign to call a quality plumber from Elmer’s Home Services for a speedy repair.
Need Help?If you’re not sure where to start with your water heater repair, don’t hesitate to call a professional. Elmer’s Home Services in San Antonio TX can help you assess the situation and make the best decision for your needs. We have experienced plumbers and quality service, so you can get the solution your need quickly.
Slab leaks are a common plumbing issue in homes across the country and If you’ve ever had a leak in your home, you know just how frustrating it can be. Water damage can wreak havoc on your home and belongings. A slab leak can be difficult to detect and even more difficult to repair. While the cost of repairing a leak in your home’s foundation can seem daunting, it’s important to take care of the problem as soon as possible. In this blog post, we’ll discuss what slab leaks are, how to detect them, and what they can cost.
- What is a Slab Leak and how do you detect it
- How to Repair Slab Leaks
- Slab Leak Repair Cost
- What are the Causes of Slab Leaks
- Prevention Tips for Slab Leaks
What is a slab leak and how do you detect it?A slab leak is a water leak that occurs in the concrete slab beneath your home. When the issue is a broken pipe or water line in the slab foundation it’s referred to as a slab leak. Slab leak detection can be difficult as they often go unnoticed until significant damage has been done. Broken water pipes can be repaired, but repair costs will vary depending on the severity of the leak and the amount of damage that has been done. Leaky faucets, clogged drains, and corroded pipes can often be the culprit of plumbing leaks, but if you still are having issues after checking these you might have a bigger problem found in your slab plumbing.
How to detect a slab leakThere are several ways to detect a slab leak. One way is to listen for the sound of running water when all water sources in your home are turned off. If you hear running water, it could be an indication that you have a busted water line that is leaking under your house. Another way is to look for warning signs of water damage, such as standing water, poor water pressure, unexpectedly high water bills, or mold growth. If you suspect you have a slab leak, there are a few tools you can use to help detect it. One is your water meter. By turning off all the water sources in your home and checking the water meter, you can see if any water is still flowing. If there is, you could have something wrong with the water lines beneath your floor. Another tool is a moisture meter. This device can be used to measure the moisture content in the soil around your home. If the readings are high, it could indicate a leak. It’s very important that you hire a professional plumber to help detect a slab leak. Leaks in the foundation of your home can be difficult to find, and a professional will have the equipment and experience needed to locate and fix a slab leak.
How to Repair Slab LeaksIf you have a leak in your home’s foundation, it’s important to take care of the problem as soon as possible. There are a few ways to repair a slab leak, but the method will vary depending on the severity of the leak and the amount of damage that has been done. One common method for repairing water leaks underneath your home’s foundation is to drill a small hole through the concrete slab and insert a flexible pipe. This pipe will carry water from the leak to a drain or another location where it can be safely released. The broken pipe can then be repaired with minimal disruption. To locate the leak in your home’s plumbing, a plumber can use a drain line camera to inspect the inside of your water lines and see where the issue lies. Another common method is to excavate the area around the leak and make repairs to the plumbing. This method is more invasive and will require a professional plumber with experience in slab leak repair. Repair costs for a concrete slab leak will vary depending on the method used, the severity of the leak, and the amount of damage that has been done.
Slab Leak Repair CostA slab leak repair will generally cost a few thousand dollars, as the plumbers often must dig beneath your slab foundation, perform a pipe repair, and backfill all the excavated area. Depending on the severity of the leak and the amount of damage that has been done this cost has a wide range. Repairing a slab leak can be difficult and takes skill when detecting, so it’s important to take care of the leak as soon as possible.
Slab Leak Detection
- The cost of finding a leak in your foundation along with basic repairs starts at around $600 according to Fixr.com.
- Slab leak repair is a service with a high variable cost as the final cost will depend on how severely the plumbing is damaged, where in the ground the leak is located, and the amount of damage to the floors and walls the leak has caused.
- Breaking the slab and making repairs to the foundation itself starts at around $500 and can easily exceed $5,000. The concrete slab will generally need to be sealed after the repairs to prevent further damage or mold growth.
- Occasionally the process of repairing a slab leak is a quick fix. If the plumber can locate the broken or damaged pipe and the leak is in an easy-to-access spot the repair can run on average $850. This is rare, but if the plumber can fix the pipe without major damage to the concrete slab the cost may be lower.
What are the Causes of Slab Leaks?Slab leaks can be caused by a number of factors, including excessive water pressure, corroded pipes, hard water, or even settling foundations. If the builder used incorrect or low-quality pipes this could also be the cause.
Prevention Tips for Slab LeaksThere are a few things you can do to help prevent slab leaks and catch them early, such as:
- Checking your home for signs of water damage
- Inspecting your pipes regularly for leaks or corrosion
- Fixing any leaks or broken pipes immediately
- Installing low-flow fixtures to help reduce water usage
- Monitoring your water bill for any sudden increases
- Regularly watering the foundation of your home
Hot water is an essential part of any home, but when you need water heater repair you need it fast. If your water heater is leaking, you should get it repaired or replaced as soon as possible to avoid any larger issues. Experiencing problems with your water heater can be a massive headache, but don’t worry – Elmer’s Home Services is here to help with your hot water heater repair. Let’s cover what to do if you spot a water heater leaking, what causes leaks, and how to prevent water heater leaks. Electric water heaters can last anywhere from 10-15 years with proper care and preventative maintenance. It’s important to know what to do if you start seeing signs of a leak. This post will cover the following key points to ensure that you know what to do when your hot water heater is leaking.
- Identifying a heater leaking water.
- What to do if you spot a water heater leaking.
- How to prevent hot water heater leaks.
- What causes a leaking water heater?
- What is the best option for repairing or replacing your water heater?
Identifying a heater leaking water.If you are experiencing problems with your water heater, it is important to be able to identify if the issue is a leak. There are a few common signs that your water heater may be leaking water. Some of these signs include water pooling around the base of the heater, water dripping from the tank, rusty, discolored, or cold water, and unusual sounds coming from the tank. Here are a few things to check.
Drain valveAt the bottom of the tank is your drain valve, which is used for draining water from your water tank. If it’s dry, then that is not the issue – but if there’s any cold water or moisture surrounding the drain valve, we recommend calling a plumber. If you decide to attempt to tighten the drain valve, make sure you attach a garden hose first, because messing with a drain valve that is damaged can cause it to break and empty the water tank. To tighten the drain valve slightly, simply turn the valve clockwise so that it is completely closed. Dry off the area with some paper towels and come back to check later to see if there is any more water leaking.
Temperature and pressure relief valveIf you notice that water isn’t coming from the bottom of your water heater, it might be leaking from the T&P Valve – temperature and pressure relief valve, this is used to regulate excessive pressure. This valve is also a potential source of leakage on your heater. The T&P Valve is located on the side of your hot water heater near the top. It usually has a spigot or pipe with a directional pull – DO NOT PULL THIS. To check if this valve is leaking, simply locate it and place your finger at the bottom of the open valve. If there’s water present, then the problem is coming from this valve. If not, then it might be time to double-check the drain valve – on the bottom of your heater.
Cold water inlet and hot water outletThese two pipes are located on top of your hot water heater. The cold-water inlet pipe or cold-water supply line brings water to the internal tank. Feel around this area and see if there is a leak. If there is moisture, it’s recommended that you call a plumber that will use a pipe wrench to tighten the pipe. Doing this yourself could result in breakage and a more serious leak due to the inbound water pressure.
What to do if you spot a water heater leaking.If you spot a water heater leaking, it’s important to take action as soon as possible. Leaks can cause extensive damage to your home and can be dangerous. Here are a few things you can do to minimize the damage caused by a leaking water heater.
Turn off the hot water tankIf you have an electric water heater this can be done at the circuit breaker or electrical panel. If you have a gas water heater, locate the gas shutoff valve, and turn it to “Off” or “Pilot” Turning the shut-off valve will stop the water heater from heating when there is no water in the tank
Turn off the water supply lineThe first thing you should do if you spot a water heater leak is to turn off the water supply valve. This will stop any more cold water from coming into the tank and causing more leaks.
Drain the tankOnce the water supply has been turned off, you can begin draining the tank by opening the drain valve at the bottom of your hot water heater. Attach a hose to the drain valve to empty the water into the drain or outside. If the leak is coming from the pressure relief valve, do not attempt to drain the tank as this could cause serious injury.
Call a professionalOnce you have taken these steps, it’s important to call a professional to assess the damage and repair or replace your water heater. Elmer’s Home Services has been in business for over 18 years and offers options to fit our customer’s budgets ranging from a band aid fix, up to total replacement. Whatever the cause Elmer’s can help when your water heater is leaking.
How to prevent hot water heater leaksThere are a few things you can do to prevent a leaky water heater. Proper maintenance is the best way to avoid a heater leaking water. Check the temperature and pressure relief valve for leaks, and make sure the drain valve is closed tight. Another way to prevent leaks is to keep an eye on the anode rod. The anode rod is a metal rod that helps to prevent corrosion in the tank. Over time, the anode rod can become corroded, cause internal tank leaks, and need to be replaced. This can require special tools such as a socket and pipe wrench. Be sure that the water temperature or thermostat is set to the manufacturer’s recommended setting. The thermostat regulates the water heater’s temperature and prevents it from overheating. For gas water heaters, make sure the vent pipe is clear and unobstructed. A blocked vent pipe can cause pressure to build up in the tank, leading to leaks. If you have a gas water heater it’s recommended that you check it more frequently as there are more serious issues that can arise besides a leaky water heater tank. For example, there could be a gas line or gas supply issue. If you suspect there is a gas issue it’s best to call a nearby plumber.
What causes a leaking water heater?There are a few things that can cause a water heater to leak. One of the most common reasons is the corrosion of the tank. This can be caused by hard water or improper maintenance. Another common reason for leaks is a faulty pressure relief valve. This valve is designed to release excess pressure from the tank, but if it’s not working properly, it can cause leaks due to the pressure inside the tank being incorrect. Another potential cause of leaks is a blocked vent pipe. This can happen if the flue gas from a gas water heater is not able to escape properly. This can create pressure build-up in the tank, leading to leaks. A faulty tank can be the cause of many different types of leaks. If you have a water heater that is more than 10 years old, it’s important to regularly check it for any signs of wear and tear. One common issue with old water heater tanks is a cracked storage tank or faulty seams where the tank is welded. A crack can be caused by corrosion or too much pressure and will generally require a total water heater replacement.
What is the best option for repairing or replacing your water heater?If you have tried all the steps above you still see your water heater leaking, it’s time to call a local plumber for water heater repair. Elmer’s Home Services is a local plumbing company in San Antonio, Tx that has been in business for over 18 years. We provide options to fit our customer’s budgets ranging from a bandaid fix, up to total replacement. If you are experiencing a heater leaking water, don’t hesitate to give us a call for all your water heater repair needs in the San Antonio area. We can help you assess the damage and find the best solution for your needs. We’ll work with you to find a solution for your water heater repair that fits your needs. Call us today!
To prevent a clogged drain, did you know that your drains need to be cleaned regularly? If not, then you could be in for a nasty surprise… Dirty pipes can cause a clogged toilet and water to back up into your sink or tub drain, leading to slow drains, costly repairs, and even flooding. Regular drain cleaning and inspection will help prevent clogs and more severe issues from arising. In this blog post, we will cover 5 things you need to know about your drains:
- Why it’s important to clear drains regularly
- 5 Signs you need your drain cleaned
- How to clear a drain
- The benefits of regular cleaning
- Tips for keeping your drains clear and tackling tough clogs
Why it’s important to clean drains regularlyUnclean drains are the leading cause of drain blockages, a common occurrence in homes across the country. Blockages are caused by a variety of things, such as grease, soap scum, hair, food particles, and other foreign objects. If left untreated, they can lead to foul odors, costly repairs, and even flooding. Over time the pipes in your home will accumulate a build-up of debris, sludge, and other materials on the inside causing slow-flowing drains. A drain line with excessive build-up will lead to stubborn clogs forming more frequently and can cause major damage to your plumbing system. That’s why it’s important to clear drains regularly. This will help prevent clogs from forming and causing problems. There are a few different ways to clear drains, which we’ll discuss in a later section.
5 Signs you need your drain cleanedIf you’re wondering whether your drains need to be cleaned, there are a few tell-tale signs that indicate it’s time for cleaning:
- Sinks, tubs, or toilets with a slow drain If water is taking longer to drain than usual, it’s likely due to a blockage in the pipe.
- Foul odors coming from drains This is usually a sign of a build-up of organic matter in the pipes, which can lead to clogs.
- Water backing up into sink drain or tub Have you used drain cleaner to clear your clogged drains and still notice water starting to back up into your sink or tub drains? If so, It’s probably time to get a drain cleaning.
- Gurgling sounds coming from tub drains If you hear gurgling or bubbling sounds coming from your sink drain or tub drain, this is another sign that there is a clog somewhere in the system.
- Constantly clogged toilet If it feels like your toilet is getting clogged every time you flush, it’s likely a sign that there is a blockage in the drain line.
How to clear a drainThere are a few different ways to clear a drain, but the most common is with a plunger, plumber’s snake, or high-pressure water jet, also known as a Hydrojet. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to choose the right one for your needs. Plungers are great for small blockages, are environmentally friendly, and can be used to unclog most types of drains. They work by creating a seal over the drain and then using suction to dislodge the clog. There are two main types of plungers; Flanged and Unflanged. A Flanged plunger is great for creating a seal and using pressure to unclog a toilet. An Unflanged plunger is perfect for clogs in a kitchen sink or an area with a flat basin. Plumber’s snakes are long, flexible rods that are inserted into the drain to clear blockages. They can be used on most types of drains but are most effective on toilets and sinks. Using a plumbing snake is a great way to retrieve excess hair and build-up that gets caught in your bathroom shower or toilet. NEVER pour boiling water directly into your pipes. Many pipes are made of PVC and by pouring boiling water you risk melting them, damaging your garbage disposal, and possibly your entire system. Hot water from the tap is safe to use. Hydro jetting is the most effective way to clean a drain and tougher clogs. They work by shooting a stream of water at high pressure into the drain to break up the clog and clean the inside of the drain. This method is used by plumbers and is not recommended for use by homeowners without a plumbing license. Elmer’s Home Services offers Hydro jetting and Camera line inspection which helps locate breakages or tree roots that may be causing your plumbing issues
The benefits of regular drain cleaningCleaning is a necessary part of home maintenance. A clogged drain can cause water to back up into your sink, tub, or toilet. This can lead to costly repairs, flooding, and creating standing water. Regular cleaning can help prevent these problems.
There are several benefits to regular cleaning:
- It prevents clogs from forming, which can save you money on repairs.
- It helps keep your system flowing freely, which prevents water damage and standing water.
- It eliminates bad odors coming from your sink.
- It can extend the life of your sink, drain, and pipes.
Tips for keeping your drains clear and tackling tough clogs
- Run hot tap water down your drain regularly; Hot water can loosen build-up. NEVER use boiling water.
- Don’t pour grease or cooking oil down the drain.
- Dispose of food waste in the trash can, not the drain.
- Clean your drain regularly using a plunger
- Use a trap in your shower or tub. Hair traps keep your drains free from a clog caused by hair.
- Avoid using chemical drain cleaners. If you must use one, make sure it is compatible with your septic system. Many drain cleaners can contain harsh chemicals that do a better job of damaging your pipes instead of clear clogs and grease.
Need Help?If you’re not sure where to start with your clogged drain, don’t hesitate to call a professional. Elmer’s Home Services in San Antonio TX can help you assess the situation and make the best decision for your needs. We have experienced plumbers and quality service, so you can get the solution your need quickly.
If you’re a homeowner, then you’ve undoubtedly heard of the Manual J calculation. In this blog post, we’ll answer those questions and explain why the Manual J calculation is so important for homeowners. What is the Manual J calculation and why is it important for HVAC contractors and homeowners alike? The Manual J calculation is a way of determining the heating and cooling needs of a given space. This calculation considers several factors, including the size of the space, the type of equipment being used, and the climate. This information is then used to determine the appropriate amount of HVAC capacity for the space. The Manual J calculation is important for contractors because it ensures that they are sizing HVAC equipment correctly. Homeowners also benefit from this calculation, as it can help them to select equipment that is properly sized for their home. In short, the Manual J calculation is a valuable tool for both contractors and homeowners. Who should perform a Manual J calculation? A Manual J calculation should be performed by an HVAC technician. This type of calculation is used to determine the size of the air conditioner that is needed for a home. The contractor will consider the square footage of the home, the number of windows, the insulation levels, and other factors. By performing a Manual J calculation, the contractor can ensure that the air conditioner is properly sized for the home. This will help to improve the efficiency of the system and prevent problems such as short cycling. In addition, a Manual J calculation can help to reduce energy costs. As a result, it is important that this calculation be performed by a qualified HVAC contractor.
How often should a Manual J calculation be performed?A Manual J calculation should be performed every time there is a change to the HVAC system. This includes adding or removing cooling or heating capacity, changing the ductwork, or making any changes that would affect the air flow. Additionally, a Manual J calculation should be performed if the occupancy of the building changes. For example, if a new business moves in and the number of people working in the building increases, the HVAC system may need to be adjusted to accommodate the extra demand. By performing a Manual J calculation on a regular basis, you can be sure that your HVAC system is always operating at peak efficiency.
What are some of the benefits of having a properly calculated HVAC system in your home?Having a properly sized and installed HVAC system in your home has many benefits.
- For one, it will help to keep your home at a comfortable temperature year-round.
- Second, it can help to improve air quality by circulating fresh air throughout your home and removing pollutants.
- Finally, a well-functioning system can help to prolong the life of your furniture and flooring by protecting them from extreme temperatures and humidity levels.
- Ultimately, having a HVAC system that is properly sized and installed can provide many benefits for your home.
Need our help?Elmer’s Home Services in San Antonio offers manual j calculation services, as well as a variety of other HVAC services. We’re here to help you keep your air conditioning system running smoothly, so call us today!
No matter what time of year it is, making sure your home has good indoor air quality should be a top priority. However, some people may feel like they must choose between energy conservation and indoor air quality – but that doesn’t have to be the case! With a few simple tips, you can keep your home comfortable and healthy all year long.
How to improve your home’s indoor air qualityMost people don’t think about the air quality inside their homes, but it’s actually a very important consideration. Indoor air quality can have a big impact on your health, and it’s important to take steps to ensure that the air in your home is as clean and healthy as possible. There are a few air quality tips that everyone should follow;
- First, make sure that your home is well-ventilated. Open windows and doors when you can to let fresh air in and consider installing an air purifier to help filter out any pollutants in the air.
- Second, try to avoid using chemicals and other toxic products indoors. Choose natural cleaning products whenever possible, and open windows when using them to ventilate the area.
- Third, keep your home clean and free of dust. Dust can contain allergens and other harmful particles, so it’s important to keep surfaces clean and vacuum regularly.
Why energy conservation is important in the homeHome energy conservation is important for a number of reasons.
- First, it can help to lower your utility bills. By using energy-efficient appliances and taking steps to reduce energy waste, you can save money on your monthly energy bill.
- Additionally, energy conservation can help to protect the environment. The production of energy often results in pollution, so reducing your energy consumption can help to reduce your impact on the environment.
- Finally, energy conservation can also help to improve your home’s comfort level. By making your home more energy-efficient, you can keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, making it more comfortable for you and your family.
Comparing the two priorities and how to balance themIt’s important to strike a balance between indoor air quality and energy conservation. On the one hand, you want to keep your home well-ventilated to avoid airborne pollutants. But on the other hand, you don’t want to waste energy by heating or cooling the outdoors. Here are some tips for finding a happy medium: -Keep windows and doors closed when the indoor temperature is comfortable. This will prevent warm or cool air from escaping. -Open windows and doors when the indoor temperature is uncomfortable. This will allow fresh air to circulate and help maintain indoor air quality. -If you have an HVAC system, make sure it is properly maintained and serviced. This will ensure that it is running efficiently and not wasting energy. -Invest in indoor air purifiers to help remove pollutants from the air. However, be sure to choose a model that is energy efficient. By following these tips, you can enjoy both indoor air quality and energy conservation.
Need help with managing your air quality?If you’re looking for help managing your air quality, Elmer’s Home Services in San Antonio is here to assist. We have years of experience in the industry and can provide you with top-of-the-line equipment and services that will improve the air quality in your home or office. Call us today at (210) 570-1717 to schedule an appointment and let us help you breathe easier!
House flipping has become a popular investment for young professionals and seasoned buyers, especially those looking to use renters’ fees towards their mortgage payments. Between today’s market and the ease of buying a property that becomes a money pit, it’s important to be strategic about your budget to get the most out of a flip. In this post, we’re going to discuss the value of HVAC system changes and how they can make or break the longevity of a project and the surrounding property value.
Choose Your Investments WiselyDealing with today’s supply chain issues poses a new challenge to flippers who might be trying to hire professionals who work with a broader range of skills. Between labor shortages and inconsistent supplies, it’s important to manage both your investment and renovation timelines as realistically as possible. If your region experiences a diverse climate, you’ll want to prioritize projects within the home to avoid multi-month seasonal pauses. It’s important to be proactive about planning during busy contracting seasons and remain flexible to market conditions as well. When preparing your finances for property investment, consider learning how home equity loans work or look towards other funding options such as personal loans, or the utilization of profits from current tenants and/or past flips. Each of these have their own advantages and drawbacks so be sure to investigate things such as tax-deductibility, interest rates, and if you’ll have enough available money remaining for any major emergencies.
Take Care of Necessary Inspections and CleaningHigh-quality house flips need efficient home HVAC systems, and securing that network of internal functions will require some attention to detail. Ducts, heaters, and A/C units will need to be cleaned and air filters will need replacing before and after a renovation. It’s important that heating and A/C are turned off during any remodeling as this could affect the air quality in the space once all visible dust is settled and cleaned. Consider having your HVAC system inspected to avoid leak damage and any long-term repair costs. Between this and the efficiency benefits of clean units, you’ll be saving quite a bit in the long run. As an added bonus, this inspection period is also a great time to consider smart-home upgrades that can pair with your HVAC digitally, raising the value of the property and expanding its accessibility.
Start with HVAC ImprovementsIf you’re looking to buy a property as a flip, chances are the home has seen enough disarray that it needs to be gutted. Once foundations are inspected and laid, the necessary HVAC repairs or replacements can be made while accommodating the home’s new scheme. This also means that the system will be functional as soon as the necessary work is completed, allowing for heat or A/C to accommodate final cleaning and staging for sale. Not only does the general timeline of access work logically, but you’ll be able to practice what you preach when showing prospective tenants or buyers the air conditioned or comfortably heated environment you’ve created. You’ll create upfront value when selling and hopefully bring in several offers.
Need Help?If you’re not sure where to start with your house flip HVAC system, don’t hesitate to call a professional. Elmer’s Home Services in San Antonio TX can help you assess the situation and make the best decision for your needs. We have experienced AC technicians and quality service, so you can get the solution your need to maximize your profits.
The dog days of summer are upon us, and that means one thing – it’s time to crank up the air conditioner! Keeping your AC unit running smoothly is important for keeping your home cool and comfortable. In this blog post, we will discuss some tips on how to properly maintain your air conditioner during the summer months. Follow these tips and you’ll be able to keep cool all season long!
Clean or change your air filter every monthOne of the most important things you can do to keep your air conditioner running smoothly is to change or clean the air filter monthly. A dirty air filter not only reduces the air flow through your AC unit, but it can also cause the unit to freeze up, which can lead to expensive repairs. In addition, a dirty air filter can allow dust and other pollutants to enter your home, lowering air quality and triggering allergies. To avoid these problems, simply check your air filter every month and either clean it or replace it as needed. With a little bit of care, you can keep your air conditioner running like new all summer long.
Vacuum the coils on the back of your AC unitA lot of people don’t realize that their AC unit needs to be cleaned just like any other appliance in their home. One of the most important parts of keeping your AC unit running smoothly is to vacuum the coils on the back of the unit. These coils can get gunked up with dust and dirt, and if they’re not clean, your AC unit won’t be able to cool your home effectively.
Make sure there’s enough airflow around your AC unit – keep plants and other objects away from itAirflow is important for keeping your air conditioner working properly. Make sure there’s enough airflow around your AC unit by keeping plants and other objects at least two feet away from it.
If you have a programmable thermostat, set it to cool your home down before you arrive homeIf you have a programmable thermostat, one of the best things you can do is to set it to cool your home down before you arrive home. This way, you won’t have to wait for the air conditioner to kick in and you can enjoy the cool air as soon as you walk in the door. In addition, programmable thermostats can help you save money on your energy bill by only cooling your home when needed. So if you’re looking for ways to keep your air conditioner running smoothly, be sure to program it properly.
Use ceiling fans to circulate the air and help cool the room down fasterOne easy way to help your air conditioner run more efficiently is to use ceiling fans. Ceiling fans circulate the air in a room, helping to cool it down faster. This means that your air conditioner won’t have to work as hard, and you’ll save on your energy bill. Ceiling fans also make a room feel cooler, even if the temperature hasn’t changed. So if you’re looking for a way to stay comfortable this summer without breaking the bank, ceiling fans are a great option. Just be sure to turn them off when you leave the room, so you’re not wasting energy.
Do you need air conditioner repair?Are you in need of air conditioner repair? If you live in the San Antonio area, call Elmer’s Home Services. Our team of highly trained and certified technicians are available 24/7 to help you with all your air conditioning needs. We’ll come to your home or business, diagnose the problem, and provide a fair and honest estimate for the repairs. We’re committed to providing our customers with the best possible service, so call us today and let us help you keep your cool this summer!
It’s no secret that the air quality indoors can often be worse than outdoors. Whether it’s because of dusty old furniture, pet dander, or just general pollution, many people find themselves dealing with allergy symptoms and other respiratory problems as a result. Thankfully, there are ways to improve your indoor air quality and make your home healthier for you and your family. In this post, we’ll explore some simple tips that can help you breathe easier at home. Keep reading to learn more!
Dust your furniture and blinds at least once a week to get rid of allergensDusting your furniture and blinds at least once a week can help to improve indoor air quality by reducing the amount of allergens in the air. Allergens can come from a variety of sources, including pet dander, pollen, and dust mites. When these particles become airborne, they can trigger allergies and asthma attacks. By taking a few minutes to dust your home each week, you can help to reduce these health risks and create a cleaner, healthier indoor environment.
Vacuum your floors and carpets at least once a week to remove dirt, dust, and pet hairKeeping your floors and carpets clean is essential for maintaining indoor air quality in your home. Regular vacuuming helps to remove dirt, dust, and pet hair that can easily become trapped in the fibers of your flooring, resulting in a build-up that can contribute to allergies and respiratory issues. To keep your indoor environment as healthy as possible, it is recommended that you vacuum your floors and carpets at least once a week. This will help to eliminate the harmful particles that can be lurking on the surface of your surfaces and minimize any unwanted odors caused by indoor pollutants. So, if you want to breathe easy and feel more comfortable in your own home, make sure you are vacuuming regularly!
Change your air filter every month (or as recommended by your HVAC technician)Most people are aware that it’s important to keep their indoor air quality clean, but many don’t realize that one of the easiest ways to do this is to change their air filter regularly. Air filters play a vital role in keeping your indoor air quality high by trapping dust, pollen, and other airborne particles. Over time, these filters can become clogged, which reduces their efficiency and can lead to poor indoor air quality. For best results, it’s recommended that you change your air filter every month – or as often as recommended by your HVAC technician.
Keep plants in your home to help improve air qualityKeeping indoor plants in your home can be a great way to boost indoor air quality. These plants can filter out various pollutants from the air, helping to improve indoor air quality and reduce exposure to harmful airborne toxins. Additionally, indoor plants promote the production of oxygen, making it easier for you and your family members to breathe easily. Whether you want cleaner air or simply enjoy having greenery around the house, keeping indoor plants is a great way to improve both indoor air quality and overall happiness.
Use a dehumidifier in the summer months to reduce humidity levelsIn the summer months, indoor air quality can suffer because of high humidity levels. This can lead to several problems, such as stale air, musty odors, and even mold growth. One way to combat these problems is to use a dehumidifier. Dehumidifiers work by pulling moisture out of the air, helping to reduce indoor humidity levels. In turn, this can improve indoor air quality by reducing musty odors and promoting airflow. Additionally, using a dehumidifier can also help to prevent mold growth, as mold thrives in humid environments. So if you’re looking for a way to improve indoor air quality this summer, consider using a dehumidifier.
Need More Help?We hope this article was helpful in highlighting the importance of indoor air quality and gave you some tips on how to improve yours. If you would like more information or have any questions, please do not hesitate to call Elmer’s Home Services. We are happy to help!
If you’re wondering whether it’s worth it to have your HVAC ducts sealed, this blog post will discuss some of the benefits of doing so. We think it’s a great investment of your time and money.