When it comes to saving energy, there are a lot of things you can do around the house to help the situation. Bigger projects, like switching to a new, energy-efficient air conditioner may have the biggest impact, but you can’t count out the effects of smaller, DIY projects. Energy Star recently released a list of energy-saving ideas, and On Time Elmer wanted a few of the simpler projects with you.
- Weather strip your entry doors
- Installing a programmable thermostat, or using a programmable thermostat if you already have one
- Replace old light bulbs with CFL or LED bulbs
- Turn off your lights, TVs and computers when you’re not using them
- Compost your leftover food
- Get an energy audit from your utility company
- Regularly replace your AC filter
Some of those projects can be checked off the list for free. Others cost only a few dollars. Whichever the situation, these low cost energy efficient projects can end up making a big impact on your electric bill.